Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bike 2 Work Day 2010

I almost missed this years bike to work day, or at least was late for it, there was a bit of a snafu with a child, cramps, heating pad and unplugging of the extension cord which plugs in the iphone with the cool wake up alarm. But I awoke none the less and made it to my post with a minute to spare.

I think I had the whole counting station thing down this year. I was able to prepare a cup of coffee in my new french press mug - since I was late I was able to press it on site, instead of trying to rush it at home. I brought along a bottle of water (little sips since there is not time to pee), a chair and my knitting. Of course I had about three layers, my fingerless gloves with flap for warmth a warm hat (dare I say togue) and my safety vest.

I took Fluer with me, it is the Frontier Blues Jacket as seen in knitscene. I should have got a pic of me knitting, but the bicyclists were on a mission. I have already added in the sleeves so it is all in one piece and quite hefty. In fact I am using my Denise needles and at one point I felt that ominous little click and yep, sure enough there I was trying to click it back together while trying not to drop stitches all the time with my thumbs in mittens, my fingers out. But I managed to reclaim them all.

I was not bored or too uncomfortable at all this year, despite being at the second slowest station. The chair and the knitting really helped. I almost ran to the car a little after 8 - I had it parked strategically to be able to warm up and count, but the combo of standing or sitting and knitting or not really helped. And then the sun came out and really warmed things up, ahhhh. And I do like being out on the corner and able to chat with the bicyclists.

Of course some people thought I was insane, the lady on the corner with the safety vest knitting. That corner puts you almost right on the road, and a lot of people que up to turn left onto Lake Otis, so there are a lot of folks staring. I just smiled.

I talked to a few bicyclists, some of them blew right by with the green light since they were on a hill and did not even see me. Others chatted. Like the guy in the recumbent bike. I can understand why he rides on the pathway - despite his flag he is almost invisible. But heck that guy is fast! I counted Lisa who bikes all the way downtown to the National Park Service. And I sent a lot of folks down to Paramount's coffee stop at Elmore and Abbott. I counted 88 at my station, which was up by over 10 bicyclists.

I realized how right I felt counting after talking to my compadre Jon. Jon said he had a miserable time and really felt all 4 years of our counting. He was stationed close to home at 36th and Lake Otis. He said he moved around a lot and did not engage with people much, kind of hung out at the bus stop. The way he was explaining it he sounded like a stalker. I told him next year I am suiting him up - the whole bit - except maybe not the knitting.

He had no safety vest, and I realized that if you have a safety vest you look legitimate. It really does not matter what you are doing, that safety vest makes you look like you belong on the street because you have the official uniform.

I also realized that since we are the organizers we should take the best spots and reward those who have volunteered for years. I only realized this after one volunteer could not make it (a big business thing - la di da) and sent a subordinate to his spot to count. But her numbers are totally skewed - they are lower than last year which makes me realize that either she did not show up for very long or she was just did not count. The station to the east counted over 150 more cyclists from last year and she counted less? argggg. PLUS - I had to beg and wheedle just to get their counts. So next year, I will likely not require his assistance. You get what you pay for! and this time I got it loud and clear.

But enough of this, I will have total counts on Monday, off to take pens to Kaladi's and bail out the baristas who have no pens!

wil work on doggy part 3 later.

No comments:

Post a Comment